Special -Education Vouchers
The Cato Institute has a new policy brief on Florida's McKay Scholarship program.
Here are some interesting highlights:
· The program includes 8,000 of the state's 350,000 special-ed students receiving an average of $6,808 to take to the private school of their parent's choice.
· 89 percent of the McKay students reenrolled in their scholarship schools.
· Once a child takes a scholarship, the family opts out of the burdensome IEP special education paperwork.
· School capacity grew under the program from a few schools in 2000 to 547 eligible schools.
· 50 percent of the students qualify for the free lunch program but close to 75 percent of the student's families chose to pay additional tuition above the McKay scholarship amount.