Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Guilty!



Thanks to Mackinac's Michigan Education Report:

MIAMI, Fla. - The chief of the Miami-Dade county teachers union
plead guilty yesterday to fraud after spending hundreds of
thousands of union dollars on personal expenses and luxury items.

An investigation uncovered $650,000 in personal expenditures by
union President Pat Tornillo for the past five years. Tornillo
billed the union for private villas in the Caribbean islands,
luxury cruises, and first-class travel to the 2000 Sydney
Olympics.

A plea bargain states that Tornillo will pay $650,000 in
restitution, $160,000 in back taxes, and a $25,000 fine. His
salary was $228,000 per year, and he was released yesterday on
$100,000 bond.


This is so outrageous. I can't get over the fact that no one questioned Tornillo's extravagance for more than five years! I really wonder how often this happens. I feel guilty if I charge Reason for a Starbucks while I am waiting at the airport.

No comments: