Tuesday, November 30, 2004

To Get More Stupider

Boys go to Jupiter to get more Stupider. Girls go to Mars to get more candy bars.

Little girls have been chanting that while skipping rope for at least three decades so it was no surprise to see her cute pink tee shirt emblazoned with the Top Five Reasons That Boys Stink. She's in my son's third grade class and I glimpsed the message when she turned around and smiled at me while we were enjoying the Thanksgiving shindig last Tuesday in the multi-purpose room.

The shirt was cute, and as always, there is just enough truth in a stereotype to make it believable. I'm not advocating censorship, I don't think she should be warned, disciplined, sent home, asked to cover it up, or anything else. But I can't help wonder in today's incendiary atmosphere of hardline political correctness what Jake's teacher, or for that matter, what the principal would have had to say if a boy arrived at school sporting a shirt that informed us of the Top Five Reasons Girls Stink.

No comments: